Giving someone write access allows them to write files to that folder. That's all the permission you need to delete stuff. If you want them to upload things, then their upload folder should be outside of the project folder as a whole, so that there is no access for them to get to other files. It won't hurt to let them have read access, but it's likely you'll need to add execute permissions to the folder, sometimes some of the unix variants (and I've not tested osx for this behavior) won't allow anyone to read or write to the folder regardless of their permissions if they don't have execute permission. Odd, I know, but I've seen this behavior in slackware linux especially, and one or two other commercial unix variants such as aix and SunOs, though I'm not sure if it was just an artifact of the way we were doing things, or if it's an across the board problem. The simplest way to control users and their permissions is via groups, add them to a group that only has write access, then set the folder permissions to write only, for the group, then they can't see the other contents in the folder. However, for reasons stated above, write only access isn't always the best option. Some ftp clients will try to cd to the folder one level at a time, and if they can't hit the interveneing folders, they will fail even though they're not supposed to care what's before that level in the file hiearchy. In addition, I've seen ftp clients fail because they couldn't read the folder as well, though this hasn't been a problem with the command-line ftp programs I've used. Check to see what client this person is using, and try it yourself, to see if it's arguing or not. Then, if it is, check your system logs to see what the error actually is, this will help track down the problems. In osx, the console app (located in the utility folder) will give you access to the system logs.
hth.