Hi Steve, Margaret, and Others,

There are a couple of commercial solutions that will support writing to, as
well as reading from external hard drives that you share with Windows systems.
Vendors are Paragon and Tuxera for the  NTFS-3G support Steve mentioned.  There
was an open-source project called MacFUSE (FUSE standing for Filesystem in
Userspace), meant to make it easy to access files across different operating
systems.  That project stopped being supported in 2010, so the older
downloadable interfaces that Sarah described are broken in Lion.  Tuxera
supposedly took up some of the public development, too, after the original
effort dissolved, but the free NTFS-3G still hasn't been updated for a while,
although they have brought out their commercial product for Lion.  So the two
commercial packages I'm aware of are Paragon Software Group's NTFS for Mac OS X
and Tuxera NTFS, with prices of $19.95 and $36.50.  Both have trial downloads
at Macupdate.

I'll point you to a blog article that gives a comparison of NTFS drivers for
Mac OS X:
<http://girlyngeek.blogspot.com/2011/08/comparison-of-ntfs-drivers-for-mac-os-x.html>

and here is the shortened link if that wraps:
<http://bit.ly/xMv9kp>

It gets technical, and you have to read the summaries for the interpretation of
the graphical data.  Basically, it puts Tuxera slightly ahead, but ranks the
two apps roughly equally (and estimates that the overall cost will be similar,
so the selection depends on what you prioritize). The author chose Tuxera
(based on reasons she gave at the end, which include not wanting to see the dot
underscore file duplicates.)  What's clear is that when you copy or delete
folders full of files, NTFS-3G performance under both the schemes are much,
much slower than the comparable operations on a drive formatted with Apple's
native HFS+ format.

I don't use these schemes to share with Windows file systems, so I have no
personal experience.  The only time I've ever used file sharing with Windows
files is on dual-boot linux systems where a very small FAT partition was kept
for Windows.  (These were all machines sold as Windows laptops that were set up
for linux use.)

HTH. Some other list members may have more information.

Cheers,

Esther