Hi Matthew,

You asked about moving your iTunes library to an external drive:

> Have an itunes question.  I just moved my lybrary over to an external drive.
> I changed whare the irt is located, but How do I know if what I am looking at
> is on the external drive or not?  If the contence was moved over to the drive
> why is everything still on the macontash hd?  Thanks.
>
> Matthew

I wrote a reply to Jane's question about this last week, and was going to point
you to this, but a check of the archives showed that this post never made it to
the list, although there's a copy in my Inbox dated January 28 (go figure).  So
I'll append this note along  with apologies to Jane for the late reply.

The brief answer to your question, Matthew, is that in order to move your
iTunes library to an external drive, you have to update the information in the
iTunes database to point to the new location.  You do this by first changing
the location for your iTunes Media Folder in the Advanced pane of your iTunes
Preferences.  This only specifies where future additions to your iTunes library
will be written.  To actually move your library to the external drive, you then
use the "Organize Library…" menu option under iTunes.  This is outlined in more
detail in an iLounge article called " Transferring your iTunes Library
(November 30, 2011)":
<http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/mobile/articles/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/>
In case that long link breaks, here's a shortened link to the same page:
<http://bit.ly/yhmVQk>

Please read that article, because it explains a lot of the basic concepts about
how iTunes organizes your library. And to answer your question about how you
can tell where any track in your iTunes library is located, if you select a
track in the songs table and use the "Get Info" (Command-I) shortcut, the
summary tab will show you the path to the file.

There are also more details in my reply to Jane, pasted in and appended below
my signature.

HTH. Cheers,

Esther