Hi Mike,

I've changed the subject line to reflect your question about automatically
downloading iTunes purchases you make on your Mac to your iPhone. Yes, it's
possible to browse for iBooks and Apps on your Mac using iTunes, purchase these
items from iTunes on your computer, and have the item you purchased
automatically download onto your iPhone or other iOS device. This also works
for music purchases. On your iOS device, go to Settings >  Store.  If you have
a new iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, this is the last of the settings items for
the options that are built into your device, just before the individual
settings that may be present for apps that you purchase.  On my iPhone I have
to do a three finger flick up to scroll to the second page in order to access
the "Store" setting. You can also use the four finger tap in the bottom half of
the screen to go to the last element of the screen.  (Note: I have far too many
apps with settings loaded onto my iPhone to navigate to the "Store" s
 etting by going to the last element on my screen, so I just scroll to the
second page, touch the bottom of the screen above the home button, and flick
left to get to the "Store" setting.)

Double tap on the "Store" button.  On the "Store" screen you can set up
Automatic Downloads, so that new iTunes Store purchases made for your account
will automatically download to your device.  This includes "free" apps, books,
or music, and applies to purchases made from any location, such as your
computer or another iOS device that shares the same Apple ID for your iTunes
account.  There are separate switches for Music, Apps, and Books, and you can
double tap any of these to toggle the switch to "On" or back to "Off".  So you
might want to have your new app and book purchases automatically download to
your iPhone, but not your music purchases, if you buy a lot.  There's also a
switch that allows you to use cellular data to download these new purchases
when not connected to Wi-Fi.  I usually leave this turned off, so that large
items don't download until I have a Wi-Fi connection in order to avoid having
this add to my cellular data usage.

There is a similar setting to activate automatic downloads for books, apps, and
music under your iTunes Preferences menu on the Mac under the Store tab.  On
your computer, press command-comma, then navigate to the "Store" tab
(Command-4).  I leave these unchecked -- especially the option for apps, in
case a later version of an app loses accessibility, since I don't want my
working versions to be replaced. However, you might want to automatically
download music purchases made on your iPhone to your home iTunes library.

When iBooks was first released, it was not possible to browse or purchase books
through iTunes.  This is a relatively recent feature -- meaning that it has
been around for some months, but some users may not be aware of it.

You may find that book browsing, in particular, is easier to do from iTunes on
your Mac.  List users who have both an iPhone and an iPad will recognize that
more iBooks browsing options are available from their iPads than from their
iPhones because of the larger screen real estate.  If I want to view options
for items like "Popular Pre-Orders" or "Best of the Month" on my iPhone, I can
copy and paste the link from iTunes and mail it to myself.  If I double tap on
that link from my iPhone, I'll be able to access that special page, but I may
not find some of those link options under the Store screen in the iBooks app,
simply because it would make the screen too cluttered.

>From iTunes on your Mac, you can go directly to browse the Books section.  I'm
>going to assume that you have QuickNav turned on (by simultaneously pressing
>the right and left arrow keys to toggle this on or off), so that I can type
>(and you can press) "Left arrow", instead of "VO-Left arrow" (or
>"Control-Option-Left arrow") to navigate, and so that when I tell you to
>"press the button" you'll simultaneously press the up and down arrow keys
>instead of using VO-Space.  For those readers who are using TrackPad commander
>and the touch interface that is similar to the iPhone screen, it's even faster
>to just flick left, right, up, or down and double tap to press buttons or
>activate links.  Mac Mini, iMac  users, and users with Mac Laptops made before
>2009 will need to get a Magic Trackpad for this experience.

1. To browse the iBooks Store from iTunes on your Mac, select the "iTunes
Store" in your sources table.  Pressing Command-Shift-H will automatically
select the iTunes Store, or you can choose "Home" under the "Store" menu of
your iTunes menu bar, or else simply navigate to your sources table, interact,
and navigate to "iTunes Store"

2. Navigate using your right or left arrow key to "Books".  I usually do this
by pressing right arrow from the sources table  to navigate through the buttons
for "Home", "Music", "Movies", "TV Show", "App Store" and "Books".  When you
right arrow from each category, such as "Books", there will be a menu button,
such as "Books, menu button", that you can press.  Pressing "Books" takes you
to the main page for Books in iTunes, but using the "Books, menu button" lets
you select specific categories.  It will also let you navigate directly to
"Audiobooks" if you are looking for that content.

3. Arrow down through the categories of the "Books menu" to select your
browsing category.  The first item will be "Audiobooks", but all subsequent
menu items will refer to iBooks entries.  These will be categories like
"Enhanced Books" (with multimedia options as well as text -- haven't tried
these), "Quick Reads", "Popular Pre-Orders", and "Under $3.99", followed by
topical features (e.g., currently "Valentine's Day"), and then a long list of
subject categories in alphabetical order (e.g, "Arts & Entertainment",
"Business & Personal Finance", "Children & Teens", "Classics", "Cookbooks",
"Fiction & Literature","Textbooks").

4.  If you want to return to selecting the browsing categories from anywhere in
the iTunes Store, you can go back to the main search field by pressing
Command-Option-F.  Then, either right arrow past the sources table to the
buttons for Home, etc.  or I find it faster to first down arrow from the search
field then left arrow through the buttons to the "Books, menu button".  (You
cycle through all the buttons for store categories in reverse order, but it
takes fewer key presses to get to this button).  This kind of navigation is
really fast with TrackPad commander, by the way.  Starting from the search text
field, I flick down once then flick left 6 times to the "Books, menu button"
and double tap.  Then I flick down through the categories in the menu and
double tap on the one I want.  If you're accustomed to the touch screen
navigation on your iPhone, you may really like this.

5. Another thing to point out is that you can view your purchases from the
iTunes Store, if you are logged into your account,  by navigating to
"Purchased" under the "Quick Links" heading on any page.  This is also a new
feature.  So if I want to check my previous book purchases, I can set my rotor
to "Headings" (e.g., by simultaneously pressing either the up and left arrow
keys or up and right arrow keys), then navigate through the headings (by
pressing the down arrow key) to "Books Quick Links", then right arrow to the
"Purchased" link and activate it.  I'll be shown a page with my previous book
purchases.  I can also switch to checking on previous music, TV show, and app
purchases  from this page, or search for entries.  There's a "Purchased" entry
under the "Quick Links" for the main iTunes store home page, as well as the
individual categories.  The "Purchases" link is always the last item under the
"Quick Links", so if you want to speed up your navigation a bit, when yo
 u set your rotor to "Headings", navigate to the heading just after "Quick
Links" then left arrow twice to get to the list for previous heading and then
to the "Purchased" link under "Quick Links".

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther