Hi Sarah,

Assuming that your friend installed IOS5 and enabled "find my iphone" in
settings-->iCloud, this is sort of possible by going to the icloud.com site and
signing on with an Apple ID and selecting "find my iphone".

>From my testing, this now only appears to be possible using either Google
>Chrome or Webkit/Safari.  Be ware of a few rather severe accessibility
>barriers though.  If a passcode is already set on the phone, one can select
>"find my iPhone" and after pressing the unlabeled button below the device (EG
>joe blows iPhone located 2 minutes ago) select "remote lock and then press a
>button to confirm.  If a passcode is not set, however, the site prompts for a
>passcode and confirmation.  Sadly, these fields are not accessible to
>voiceOver or any other screen reading technology that I've tested so far.
>Even guessing and entering four digit numbers in the two likely places doesn't
>work.

On the Windows side (running XP pro), I can use Chrome with the same limitation
described above (IE if a passcode is not already set I'm completely SOL), but I
wouldn't dare try this using Mozilla Firefox 10.0.  When I select "remote lock"
I keep receiving the admonishment for "remote wipe" and chicken out.

Best regards.
Geoff