Hi Matthew,

I'm new to Lion, so someone else may have a better answer for you.  If you're
in Safari, there's a "Downloads button" on the toolbar that you can navigate to
by pressing Command-Option-F (to move to the Google search field) then navigate
with VO-Right arrow to the button and press it (VO-Space).  You need to have
your toolbar showing in order for this to work (Command-Shift-Backslash to
toggle this between show and hide on an English input keyboard).

Once you have pressed this button, the Command-Option-L shortcut to bring up
the Downloads window of Safari seems to work from Safari.  When I first started
using Safari 5.1.2 under Lion a few days ago, I tried Command-Option-L and
couldn't get this shortcut to work for me from Safari.  It will work from
Finder to show the downloads folder, but not from Safari.

The issue was that I usually keep my Safari toolbar hidden.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther