Hi Sarah,

What view setting are you using for Finder? (e.g., column view, list view,
etc.)  If I'm using list view (Command-2) and I use the Command-Option-L
shortcut, I'll be taken directly to the contents of the folder, and if I use
Command-Up arrow I'll be placed in the Downloads folder.  However, if I start
in column view mode (Command-3), and I use the Command-Option-L shortcut, I'll
be in my Downloads folder, but then using Command-Up arrow puts focus in my
home directory accounts folder (e.g., VoiceOver says "esther" instead of
"Downloads" in this mode.  I think this may have something to do with the weird
Command-Option-L implementation for viewing the Downloads window, where under
Lion this shortcut now works in FInder, but didn't originally work from Safari,
and where it now only works from Safari when the toolbar is not hidden.

I also tried clearing my Safari Downloads window after using Command-Option-L
from Safari.  In Finder, Command-Option-L still shows everything in the
Downloads folder, so it's not viewing the window.

You should also be able to view your Downloads folder from the Dock, if you've
previously set it up with the Context menu (VO-Shift-M) to display as "Folder"
and view contents as "List".  I currently have this set to sort by "Date Added"
-- which is the default setting if you don't change this with the context menu.
 To view the "Downloads" folder from the Dock, use either VO-D or Control-F3 to
navigate to the Dock (or if you have TrackPad Commander enabled, do a
two-finger double tap from the bottom half of the TrackPad).  Then, I use
Fn+Down Arrow or Up Arrow (Page Down or Page Up on a full-size keyboard) to
navigate through the sections for Applications, Files and Folders, and Trash in
the dock, and Right or Left arrow keys or the typed first letters of a name to
navigate to what I want.

On a laptop, with the default installation setup, Control-F3 then Fn-Down Arrow
puts me at the first folder in the Files and Folders section of the Dock, which
is "Documents".  Pressing left arrow puts focus on "Downloads", and I can
access the menu by pressing space bar, VO-D, or "Return".  Then, I can press
down arrow to move through the menu (in this case, viewing the most recently
added files first).  Or I can press up arrow to read the "View in Finder" menu
option, in case I really want to view the contents in a Finder window where I
can change the viewing mode, find out about file sizes and kinds of file if I
am using list mode (Command-2), or sort on column entries (e.g. list items by
kind to find applications or media files; sort by size, etc.), or perform
operations like copying or moving files.

If you want to change the viewing mode of the files in the Downloads folder in
your Dock, you can do this from the "Options" menu.  Arrowing down from the top
of the folder menu in the dock, you'll first view the items sorted according to
the order you have selected (e.g., by "Date Added" for downloads), then
"Options" and "Show in Finder".  So if you access the Downloads folder with
space bar, VO-D, or by pressing "Return", and use Up arrow to navigate, you'll
get "Show in Finder", "Options", and then the file contents starting with
oldest added files first.  If you open the Downloads folder and use Down arrow,
you'll view the most recent items first.  If you want to change the sort order
to view these alphabetically, press Command-Down arrow to move to the end of
the menu, which is "Show in Finder", then Up arrow to "Options", and right
arrow to the sub-menu.  Arrow down through the sort options and press "Return"
at the one you want.  The first one will be "Name". Then, ac
 cess the folder again (e.g., VO-D, then space bar) and arrow down to view the
contents in alphabetical order.

The sort ordering for viewing contents of folders in the dock is separate from
the viewing options you set up to view these folders in Finder.

HTH.  It sounds as though this is a weird focus issue for the Command-Option-L
shortcut in Finder.  This shortcut was really originally defined for Safari.

Cheers,

Esther