Hi Courtney,

        I was hoping someone else would answer your question as I'm not sure I
can actually find your solution.  No one else has tried so here goes.
Depending on the input source I've seen different behavior with the gain.  With
my USB turntable I can not adjust the gain.  They are dimmed.  With my Griffin
iMic or the internal microphone the gain sliders are no longer dimmed.  So for
my turntable if I want to increase the gain I use the editing functions after
the recording is complete.  You can select the sound then go to affects and
then to amplify.  You can then raise and lower the gain.  Now this may not be
exactly the same as adjusting the gain in advance.  But, it may solve your
problem.

I hope this helps.

Eric Caron