Hi Ann,

Once you are on the preferences pane for mail and have selected your account in
the table (steps 1-3 of previous instructions),  stop interacting with the
table and navigate with VO-Right arrow through the tabs for "Account
Information", "Mailbox Behaviors", to the 3rd tab for "Advanced" and select it
with VO-Space (step 4).

5. Continue to navigate with VO-Right arrow to the fields on the "Advanced
tab". Navigate past the first set of options, which simply specify that the
account is enabled and will be included when automatically checking for inbox
messages, along with what content you want to keep for offline viewing (e.g.
all messages with attachments, all messages but no attachments, only read
messages, no messages).  The section you want to edit begins with "Check with
your system administrator before changing any of the advanced options below:"
5a. The first field is a text box for IMAP path Prefix.  (This is blank for my
setup).
5b. The next field is a text box for Port, followed by a checked checkbox for
"Use SSL".  This is where you want to change the port setting.

My "Advanced" tab preferences pane may appear different from yours, because I
am using MobileMe IMAP as my mail server.  However, you should still be able to
find a text box with the Port setting that you can change on the "Advanced"
tab.  The 995 value is used for POP mail configuration using SSL (secure
sockets layer); I use 993 for the corresponding IMAP configuration with SSL for
MobileMe, The "25" value for the Port setting does not support SSL
(authentication). After the checked check box for "Use SSL", I have an entry
for "Authentication" with a pop up button (aka as combo box) set to "Password".

I think that the options to select ports were shown to you when you did the
original mail setup on the "Account Information" tab (1 of 3) under the
"Accounts" pane of your mail preferences.  If you were to add a new mail
account (e.g., by pressing (VO-Space) the "New account" button that is below
the table of accounts, and that you can navigate to from the table with VO-Down
arrow), the dialog window would take you through the steps of filling in the
information that is on the "Account Information" tab (1 of 3), and the
"Advanced tab" (3 of 3).

At a guess, because I don't have a POP mail setup, after you switch to a
secured port (995), you may have to supply an authentication method, usually a
password for your outgoing mail server, if sending still does no work for you
once you have completed the changes to port number and closed the preferences
window (with Command-W in step 6).  If you need to add this, you would do so
from the "Account Information" tab of the "Accounts" pane of your mail
preferences.  Your preferences in mail should open (with Command-comma) at your
last setting (e.g., with the "Accounts" pane and "Advanced" tab selected. The
steps you would then take would be:

1. You would simply navigate with VO-Right arrow to the "Account Information"
tab (1 of 3) and press it (VO-Space), then continue to navigate to the pop up
button for the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)".
2. Press the pop up button for the outgoing mail server (VO-Space), then arrow
down to the menu option for "Edit SMTP Server List…" and press return.
3. A dialog window with a table of "Servers" will appear, that will allow you
to select your server and check that the server being used has the password
field completed. Again, when you stop interacting with the table after
selecting a server, there will be tabs for "Account Information" and "Advanced"
that you can select and press (VO-Space).  The "Advanced" tab should have
information about the ports, etc.  There will be buttons for "OK" and "Cancel"
that will return you to the "Account Information" tab of your Mail Preferences
"Account" pane.

If my last set of comments after the information on how to find the text box to
set the port on the "Advanced" tab don't appear relevant, please just ignore
them.  They're supplied in case you need to take further actions, and are just
guesses about what you might need to do.  I think you can also make adjustments
to the port settings and password entries by starting from the "Account
Information" tab and selecting your Outgoing Mail Server from the pop up menu,
then choosing to "Edit SMTP Server List…" (the second set of instructions that
start with "1"), but the detailed instructions would depend on your specific
server configuration.  Again, you'd end up selecting the "Advanced" tab to make
your changes to port number.  There is an option with radio buttons to select
either using the default ports (25, 465, or 587) or to use a custom port (and
fill in the number in the text box).

This is the sort of material that I never remember, and that the "Take Control"
guide series supplies so well. So I really hope that they have an update to the
volume on Apple Mail in Snow Leopard for Lion.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther