Hi Sarah,

I think this is related to the Lion permissions problems I posted about
earlier.  I found the thread at the Apple Support forums when I was trying to
track down reports of problems related to your inability to write to the
Documents folder in your account last week.  I think I recommended creating a
new folder in your account, and saving to there.  Did you ever resolve the
issue about being able to write to your ~/Documents folder?

Some further research showed that the following alternative to using the
Terminal command line to fix things might work.  This was a later post from
someone who looked for a solution based on the success reported with the
command-line instructions, but who wasn't comfortable working outside the GUI.
<begin quote>
BatChmod (downloaded free with a donate option) fixed all my permission
problems. I just chose the User folder and chose "Change ownership and
privileges" and Clear ACL's.
<end quote>
Here's the link to BatChmod at MacUpdate:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/6440/batchmod

Just for background, the people who reported problems in the Apple Support
Community thread on Lion permissions had authentication problems similar to the
ones you report, and tried repairing permissions.  I'll paste in the post that
started the thread, so you can see whether it sounds relevant to your case:
<begin quote>
Jul 22, 2011 11:17 PM
I'm struggling with what I think is a permissions problem on Lion..

I purchased a new MBAir 11" and restored my files by copying them manually from
a backup of my home folder - this is always how I have done it. I did have to
change the Library folder flag to unhidden as found somewhere else on this
forum.

The first issue I encountered was that every time I logged out and logged back
in, the machine was 'reset' to the state it was in hours earlier. I couldn't
change any settings, they would reset themselves. (e.g. changing trackpad
settings would reset when I exited system preferences). Also if I used Safari
to browse a bunch of sites, none of the history was saved. The history would
show everything up to a certain point and wouldn't save anything past that.

I created a new user account and that account was obviously fine. So I copied
all of my files from the old user account to the new user account. The problem
I am having now is that any time I try to change a file in my home folder (e.g.
rename) i am prompted for my password. I tried to reset permissions but that
doesn't help.

Would appreciate any suggestions. TIA.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)
<end quote>

Write back with more details if that doesn't work for you.

Best,

Esther