In classic mail, I keep my folders listed.
I use just the arrow up and down keys to go up and down through a list of
folders or up and down through a list of messages in a given folder.
Also, if you type the first letter of a folder (or a message title) it will
jump you to the first occurrance of that letter. For example, n for notes.

Now, how to go from folder list to message list or over to favorites list?
Well, I use the VO keys along with the left or right arrow keys. (control,
option, left or right arrow)
This takes me from one column on the page to the other.
For example, suppose I arrow down my folder list to notes and under that to the
iCloud notes folder. Then, I use the control, option, right arrow twice
(because doing it once lands me on a vertical spacer). This brings me over to
the column with the list of notes in it. Then, I use just the arrow keys (in
this case arrow down) to go down the list of my notes to the one I want to
read. Once on the message I want, I use enter (return) to go into it and read
it. I do not use the VO keys for anything else in mail than to move from column
to column, or to read the message header once in a message. Using just the
regular keyboard keys works just fine.

HTH
- Laurie