Hello Murielle,

It is possible to set up your Power Mac to speak in French, but you would need
to separately purchase and install the French Infovox iVox voices from
Assistiveware.  Here is the link to their web page of sample voices:
http://www.assistiveware.com/product/infovox-ivox/voices

You will find entries for voices under "French -- Parisian French" and "French
-- Canadian French" that will play mp3 samples of the available voices when you
press the buttons for your selected voice.  Use Command-left bracket or
Command-delete to move back to the "AssistiveWare -- Voices" web page when the
sample has been played.  The same web page will have entries for "Dutch --
Belgian Dutch/Flemish" voices.

The new purchasing scheme for voices allows you to buy individual voices, for
use on two computers.  From my reading, this would cost €20 to purchase a
French voice that could be used on two computers.  (I'm not familiar with the
new pricing scheme -- I purchased the French Infovox voices when I was still
running Tiger, and at that time you purchased all the voices of a given
language, at a per language price.)  A Dutch voice would similarly cost €20,
and there are discounts for larger purchases.

Anne Robertson runs the Cecimac VoiceOver list, for which discussions are
conducted in French, and which also has podcasts, resources, and useful links
for French-speaking VoiceOver users.  Here is the link to their web page:
http://www.cecimac.org/

In addition, Anne and her husband, Archie, have assembled Braille tables for
many languages, including French.  It should be possible for you to install
these on your computer running Leopard.  Leopard was the first version of Mac
OS X to support Braille devices with VoiceOver.

Once you have installed a French voice, and French Braille tables, you will be
able to create an account that will start up with French (or perhaps more
precisely, Belgian) localization.  I believe Anne used to keep separate
accounts on her computer for English and French, and use fast user switching to
change between the two.

The Power Mac is a desktop computer, so you should be able to use the NumPad
Commander for keyboard shortcuts.  (This was first introduced in Leopard.)
There is a VoiceOver Getting Started document for Leopard, just as there is for
later versions of Mac OS X.  The available commands are listed in the Appendix,
as they are for Lion.  There is no web rotor, since that was introduced in Snow
Leopard, and reflected the design of VoiceOver on the iPhone and iOS devices.
Instead, VO-U is the links chooser menu.  Some things, like item chooser menu,
have been around since VoiceOver started, and are heavily used.  You'll find
there are fewer options for web navigation, though.

I find Leopard usable, and I'm sure that Travis and some others may still have
direct experience running Leopard.  There is support documentation for Leopard,
but most of it is in English.  Apple created spoken podcasts for all the
chapters of the VoiceOver Getting Started Guide for Leopard, and placed them
podcast episodes on iTunes:
• VoiceOver Getting Started for Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/voiceover-getting-started/id289530738

Greg Kearney also put this material in multiple formats on the Guide Dogs of
Western Australia web pages:
http://www.guidedogswa.org/books/vogs/vogs.php
(I'd forgotten about this, but Greg even included an mp3 file of Mike Shebanek
of Apple describing the "new VoiceOver accessibility features in Leopard" when
it was introduced in October 2007 -- there's historic value -- and demoed the
Alex voice.)

Tim Kilburn's VoiceOver web pages were written starting when people were using
Leopard (and even still Tiger), so a lot of the background information is well
suited both as a general intro to VoiceOver, but specifically for the
keyboard-shortcut based commands used in the earlier versions of VoiceOver:
http://web.me.com/kilburns/voiceover/

I hope these suggestions will help, but really, it might be more worthwhile and
cost-effective to upgrade to a later model of the Mac which can run a more
recent version of the operating system. That would allow you to be more
productive immediately.  Investing in even a new Mac Mini (or a slightly older
Mac Mini -- or even a refurbished computer purchased from Apple), might work
out better in the long run.

Cheers,

Esther