Hello,
in vmware you have 3 windows.
One for vmware, another for the virtualized system , and another, i think for
the parameters.
To quit vmware : if is is possible close the virtualised program as usual in
the non-virtualised.
And after, you coud quit vmware with command w or command q.
You also can quit vmware when the virtualisez program is running. Vmware will
ask you whether you  want to quit or no If your answer is yet, it'll close the
virtualized program in a good way

Regards.

I hope that it is clear.

Murielle