Hi all.

Speed tests are really a guideline and do not truly inform you the true speed
of your link.

If you are using DSL technology. Then the speed is from your modem to the DSLan
and possibly to the router which establishes the PPOE or PPPOA connection.
Depending on how the DSL is configured.

If you are using Cable technology. Then this is a shared media. So there is no
true way to identify the speed. Most ISP's will perform a test from the CE
(customer equipment) to their server to determine if there is any speed issue.
More people who use the cable heavily will effect your performance as a whole.

If you are using ethernet style technology. Then look at the speed from your CE
to the ISP's server.

Also different protocols have different limitations on maximum speed
throughput.

I have even not mention bottle necks on the actual Internet itself. You could
go to a specific site. Where their speed is slower then yours or one of the
paths you have taken on the Internet effects your overall performance. ISP's
these days also will shape (QoS) different traffic to ensure specific traffic
has higher throughput then others. An example is torrents. Some ISP's will
restrict the throughput of torrents due to the usage of the protocol by the
average person. While Web, video, VOIP and other protocols will get a higher
amount of the band width available on the ISP networks.

Thought I would give you all a little inside to how things are. Sorry for
pointing out the obvious.

Sean