On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Martin McCormick
<mar...@x.it.okstate.edu> wrote:
>        I am looking for a way besides manually cobbling html
> together to build web pages with forms that users could fill in
> to help us provide automated services that we presently must
> manually suffer through.

It's not entirely clear what your problem with "manually cobbling html
together" is that you are trying to solve, or that a different editor
is going to help.

If your problem is repetitive labor, maybe what you need is a
templating system like Jinja2 to allow you to reuse code.

If your problem is time to market, maybe what you need is a full-blown
web application framework like Django, which would typically include a
templating system, prebuilt widgets, and utilities for processing form
submissions and interacting with databases?

If your problem is not knowing the right HTML to use, maybe you need a
good resource on HTML like:

   http://www.w3.org/wiki/Web_Standards_Curriculum

"We have no way to tell the customer what he/she should enter. They
don't know what we want so nobody's happy."

Is your problem that you're not sure how to encode names and
descriptions for form fields in HTML?

Use "label" elements to name controls. Associate labels with controls
with "for" and "id" attributes.

Use "p" elements to provide additional text help for controls.
Associate paragraphs with controls using the "id" and
"aria-describedby" attributes.

Use "fieldset" to group controls. Use "legend" to name field sets.

Does this example help?

  <h1>Title for the form</h1>
  <form action="submission-url"
        method="POST">
    <fieldset>
      <legend>Short name for a group of form controls</legend>
      <label for="unique-control-identifier">Short name for an
individual control:</label>
      <input name="name-to-use-when-submitting-the-form"
             id="unique-control-identifier"
             aria-describedby="unique-additional-help-identifier">
the control goes here.</p>
    </fieldset>
    <input type="submit" value="Short name for submit button">
  </form>

Alternatively, if you're not sure how to design forms to be easy to
use, I recommend _Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks_ by Luke
Wroblewski:

   http://www.lukew.com/resources/web_form_design.asp

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis