TIme Machine  backup, as the time capsule i have, a first gen time capsule,
which only has a 500 gig drive in it, is  almost full.  So could i safely
create a second partition  on my external, without having to reformat it?
On 2012-05-29, at 1:06 PM, Travis Siegel <tsie...@softcon.com> wrote:

You certainly can remove an unused partition, but reclaiming that space by
growing another partition is problematical.  Possibly, bootcamp could do this
for you, but I tend to doubt it, since it's primary function is to create such
things, not remove them.
On the other hand, having another partition really doesn't hurt anything, and
often  times, could come in handy.  When you're using the computer, the
partitions are simply mounted on your finder just as if it was a regular file
system, (which in actuality it is) so if you really don't need to reorganize
things, then don't, simply rename the partition to data or something, and use
it for saving things you don't want lost on your regular usage partitions, or
(as I've done here) rename it applications, then drop all your apps on it,
freeing up all that space otherwise used for the apps folder for other things.
If you hav another place to put the data that is on the partition next to the
one you want to remove (temporarily) you can copy all the data off, delete both
partitions, then create a single one that uses all the disk space, then copy
the data back, but honestly, that's more work than it's worth, considering how
simple it is to just use the partition as is.

You could always sim-link the extra partition to somewhere under your regular
file system if it's really that big of an issue, that way it's still separate,
but it's also integrated with your main filesystem, which kind of gives you the
best of both worlds.
Using the fstab file (the file system table file) you could even mount it
somewhere else, though I'm sure apple frowns on this sort of thing by normal
users, but unix admins have been doing this sort of thing for years, so no real
reason not to do so if it will help you out.
Just a few ideas, use/ignore them as you see fit.
hth.