From: "Esther" <mori...@mac.com>
To: "Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility" <mac-access@mac-access.net>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 12:21 AM
Subject: Re: books from the iStore.

Hi Glenn,
> I was looking into the "walking dead" series books from the iStore.
> My question is, are they all audio books, or does it have to state that it
> is an audio book?
> I have never gotten a book from the iStore before.
> Here's the link:
> http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/walking-dead-vol.-1-days-gone/id496738324?mt=11

The link you gave is to the iBooks Store, which means that you would be
getting an eBook rather than an audiobook, and you'd be reading the text
with whatever voice you have selected for use with VoiceOver on your iOS
device.  These books can't be read on your Mac at present.  But there's a
second issue in this case.  The iBooks Store has this series both as regular
eBooks and as "graphics novels".  You gave a link to the graphics comic book
version of this book published by "Image Comics", and I have no idea whether
a "graphics novel" is accessible with VoiceOver.  There's also a version of
the eBook that is published by St. Martin's Press:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-walking-dead/id425332309?mt=11

I would expect that version of the book to be accessible.  However, if I
wanted to read this book, I would get the audio version rather than the ePub
version.  There is a version of the audiobook in the iTunes Store, which is
read by Fred Berman and costs $23.95 in the U.S. iTunes Store:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/audiobook/walking-dead-rise-governor/id471453233

My own recommendation would be to get the audio version from Audible.com.
If you enjoy listening to audiobooks, an Audible membership will let you
purchase these at better prices, and you can download them again at any time
in different formats.  You can also use the Audible app on your iOS device
to directly download your past purchases and listen to them on your iPhone,
iPod, or iPad with a very accessible app.

Here's the link to the same audiobook at the U.S. Audible site:
• The Walking Dead: Rise of The Governor (unabridged) by Robert Kirkman and
Jay Bonansinga, read by Fred Berman
http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B005SI2ZIY

HTH.  Cheers,

The Mac-Access mailing list is guaranteed malware, spyware, Trojan, virus
and worm-free!

Please remember to update your membership options periodically by visiting