Hi,

X11 might not be supported under 10.8. In fact, the page that leads to the
download page no longer exists. It's worth considering which apps may not be
supported, though I'd expect most already work. Mountain Lion has a lot of
changes, but not a complete redesign. Secondly, the way VoiceOver interacts
with 10.7 hasn't changed surprisingly much in 10.8, at least in terms of voice
usage, so Infovox iVox works even if you're using 2.0.1, though I recommend
updating to 3.0 if able for the added responsiveness, pronunciation
improvements and new voices.

You should be able to safely update a lot of applications, or use existing
ones. Some applications won't have the new features implemented in Mountain
Lion, but that's a matter of the developer not having updated it to support
Mountain Lion just yet. Another concern is that some applications do check if
you're running the intended version of OS X, even though a majority of them can
run on Mountain Lion despite whether or not the developer can only vouch for
10.7 compatibility.

It's worth investigating whether or not X11 is no longer supported. I'm not
sure if Lion has the X11 icon in Utilities and brings you to a download page
when you click it, but that's how 10.8 has it.

Apparently, everyone is speculating that 10.8 will arrive on July 25.

Regards,
Nicolai