Hello,
Further to the attached I found that launching software update from the Apple
menu on Mountain Lion gave me updates for Pages and Numbers which I had
installed from the Mac App store some time ago on Lion. It did not give me
updates for third party (non Apple) Apps previously installed from the Mac App
store.
So it looks like Software Update on MOUntain Lion will update all Apple
software whether Mac OS or purchased from the App store.
Best regards....

Paul Hopewell