Hi Esther,

*smile* I'd come across the feature on Mountain lion all right but as you
rightly say, it wasn't out when I posted the question.

It does work incidentally, but the geek in me is wondering how those
applications manage to extract the audio at higher speeds.  I'd like to write
my own just to see how it's done.
Cheers,

Dónal
On 27 Jul 2012, at 15:14, Esther <mori...@mac-access.net> wrote:

> Hi Dónal,
>
> Now that Mountain Lion is out, I wanted to resurrect your question of two
> weeks ago:
>> • This is a very simple question really.  Is it possible to replicate the
>> IOS functionality on a Mac which enables the playing of audiobooks at higher
>> speeds?
> You also said:
> • One of the reasons I wanted to play the books faster was to record them in
> other formats using Audio Hijack Pro.  This, incidentally, is *not* illegal
> as it is for personal use.   I could record to CD and then rip to the
> alternative format I'm just trying to bypass the CD phase.  I also don't wan
> to record the book(s) in realtime as this would take forever.
>
> One of the suggestions in my reply to you was that you could use AirPlay to
> send the output from your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to your Mac. I've been
> using a program called AirServer for the last several months to do this, but
> AirPlay support is built into Mountain Lion. Does this work for you?  Your
> Mac does have to be a recent model to support the processor, but you could
> play your Audible audiobooks on your iPhone speeded up, and stream the
> content to your your Mac via AirPlay.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Esther

Dónal Fitzpatrick