Hi Sarah,
The month calendar view does indeed work as you describe. However my problem is
not "what events are happening on 10 August" but rather "I have a dentist
appointment sometime in mid August but cannot remember when". For this purpose
the list view is ideal if it would start at a sensible date like today.

I could use the search facility but entering "dentist" via the virtual keyboard
is a bit tricky.

I suppose I could request my iMac to automatically delete all events older than
say 7 days (on Lion it was set to delete all events older than 30 days).
However I cannot find this automatic delete option on Mountain Lion. Does
anyone know where it is? It used to be under the advanced tab on Lion.

Best regards....

Paul Hopewell