Hi Jim,

I think you can still run the trial of SuperDuper! for free to clone a drive --
you just can't use the other functions without upgrading to the full, paid
version. Here's the URL for Shirt Pocket software:
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

CCC still works as a 30-day free trial. If you donated any amount at any time
before July 24, 2012 to help support CCC development, they will also send you a
free license for the current version of Carbon Copy Cloner.  As Gordon and
Sarah posted, up through August 12 they offered CCC at a discounted $30 price.
The license lets you run CCC on any of your Macs.  The old free versions of CCC
still work for cloning and backing up drives on any system versions before
Mountain Lion.

Lynne's blog article gives links to the relevant software pages, and also
describes how to do a backup using a Terminal command line.  (I haven't tried
this myself).  Here's the URL to her blog article:
http://mac-ios-access.net/2011/07/07/mac-osx-system-backup/

By the way, both SuperDuper! and CCC are now fully updated to Mountain Lion, so
that might be an update amendment for that article.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther