Hello listers,

I have long wanted the VO keys "Control Option"  to be available as the caps
lock key.  this would allow one finger to hold down the keys.  Also, the
location of the Caps Lock key is ideal for reaching many keys that need to be
pressed with the Voice Over keys.

Using the caps lock key as the VO modifier would dramatically reduce the times
I find my fingers contorted trying to press multiple keys all over the
keyboard.

For those of us who type with our fingers on the home row this allows us to use
the VO modifier while keeping our hands ready to continue typing.

I'm pleased to let you know that this is now possible.  Thanks to Takayama
Fumihiko, the developer of KeyRemap4Macbook.  this application in conjunction
with another application by the same developer allows a Mac user to remap the
caps lock key as the "Control and Option" keys pressed together.

The other application is called PCKeyboardHack.  These two apps and a file
created for VO users makes this possible.

Although a write up of this process would probably be more efficient
 for most of us, that is not my strength.  Instead, I have provided a link
below to a podcast that walks through the set up.

In addition below are links needed to obtain the applications and the specially
constructed xml file.

Finally, I have provided links to some additional help documentation

The application developer responded to my request for this capability within
hours of my written request.  I have also been asked to contact again if there
are any other ways the application can help blind users.

This was such a nice response.  I'm still amazed as I have written to Apple
asking for this every few months or so, only getting back the standard
answer,"thank you for your suggestion." .

I'm so grateful to now have this ability.

Also, please be aware that this application can also remap other keys.  For
example you could make the command key on the right of your space bar a Control
key giving you another set of Voice Over Keys.
 KeyRemap4Macbook also creates a num pad on your regular keyboard.  this makes
it possible to use num pad commander on a standard keyboard.

This is covered in a excellent post by Ester on the Mac-Access.net list.

One gentle reminder.  This is donation ware so if you use this as much as I do
please support this developer.  and, as we come up with more ways this
application can help and as the OS changes we will want this developer to
support us.

        This was the most challenging podcast I have created so far.  If you
see a need for revision please let me know.

I will be submitting this podcast to applevis.com .  In the meantime here is a
dropbox link

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5620907/KeyRemap4Macbook.mp3

Below are the links I give in the podcast and also the XML text you will need.