Time Machine restoration works in conjunction with the recovery tool, in this
scenario.  First, the recovery tool restores your operating system and default
files.  Next, you use Time Machine to restore all of your user data and other
things including applications.  However, it should be understood that this is
*NOT* a complete backup tool on its own.  It relies upon the current version of
the operating system on the Apple servers which, in many cases, is not a bad
thing because you know you're going to get the most current version.

However, there are some instances where you'd be much better off using a backup
created by Carbon Copy Cloner, Super Duper! or similar tool.  Actually if
you're not afraid of the Terminal, there is an on-the-fly method of backing up
an entire volume using just one command.  This command is quite aggressive in
as much as there isn't any going back once you've started the process.  Lynne
described this pretty well, I think,in our blog discussion of the subject.  If
you need to have the URL re-posted, let us know and we can arrange that.
Alternatively, it's in the list archives.

Gordon