Hello David,
Many thanks for your Email. I too find it too easy to accidentally mute
VoiceOver by accidental touches of the magic track pad and so like you have it
safely out of harms way.
I did set up a hotkey to mute/unmute VoiceOver as you describe. However in my
case VoiceOver seemed to have frozen and so did not respond to this hotkey. I
wonder if the batteries in my magic trackpad expired while my iMac was in sleep
mode and with VoiceOver accidentally muted the wake up procedure tried to
connect to the track pad which with no VoiceOver speech caused things to
freeze.

Do you understand the difference between mute/unmute speech and mute/unmute
VoiceOver?

Best regards....

Paul Hopewell