Hi Cait

To be absolutely honest, I think that some, (and I stress that word, "Some") of
the so-called support people at both Apple and also Microsoft are just trained
monkeys.  Some of them are not fit to be holding the positions they do.  That
said, I have also encountered a number of absolutely terrific support people at
Apple, although it seems to be necessary to go direct to engineering to find
them.

I still believe that you have a couple of options here:

1.  Try backing everything up from your external drive, re-formatting that
drive and then restoring its contents.

2.  Do a total fresh install, as I indicated earlier.

As for the error being associated with iTunes, that's a distinct possibility.
iTunes libraries do seem to get corrupted quite easily and I know that I have
had to re-create our library on a number of occasions.

In any event, I hope you succeed, and that you end up with your Mac back in
tip-top condition.

Gordon