Hi Dónal,

My response would also be to use wget or curl from the command line, but the
Sitesucker interface might be easier for your friend to use, and it's easy
enough to get this as a free app from the Mac App Store.  It won't work to pull
down content on sites where you have to dynamically generate the downloadable
content by activating a pop up menu button, of course.

There's also a free app called Maria that is described as being a simple Cocoa
implementation (with GUI) of wget.  It was built under Snow Leopard (late 2011
release), and is also well rated in reviews at the MacUpdate site, which gives
links to both the developer site and the download:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/34207/maria

The only comment was that it has fewer options for specifying the file types to
download -- so if you want to pull down all files of a given type, and it isn't
in the specified list of most common files (like MP3, PDF, etc.), then you have
to pull down the whole site.  Whereas Sitesucker may have a few more specific
file types listed.  (I haven't tried downloading Maria, since there's a limit
to how many of these other apps I want to try out without knowing more about
the specifics behind the original question.  It seems likely to be accessible.)

HTH. Cheers,

Esther