Hi Gordon,

I've previously posted to this list about the free "Go2Shell" app, but it was
part of a thread trouble-shooting a problem that required using Terminal, and
likely did not receive much attention.  This is a great tool for switching to a
specific folder directory in Terminal that you've previously selected in
Finder, as you might want to do in the case of creating your symbolic links.

I'll paste in the relevant text from my post of last November:

I also found a useful free app in the Mac App Store named "Go2Shell" that
Travis and others may like.  Here's the recent TUAW description:
<begin quote>
Go2Shell is a tiny little 0.3MB app available for free from the Mac App Store
that has the potential to speed up your work-flow if it involves Terminal.
Go2Shell simply launches a Terminal session with the current folder you're
navigating in Finder, or the folder that Go2Shell is located in, open for work.
It even supports iTerm, iTerm 2 and xterm if you're not a fan of Apple's
own-brand Terminal.

It's so simple, it's almost beautiful and if you happen to have to modify files
in Terminal, or any other similar task, Go2Shell could be just ticket to save
you time.
<snip>
Go2Shell is a great free download from the Mac App Store that does one thing
and one thing well. So if you're a Terminal guru (even the app's preferences
are accessed through the command line) then give Go2Shell a whirl. You might
like it.
<end quote>

Here's the link to the Go2Shell program at the Mac App Store:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/go2shell/id445770608?mt=12

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther

On Sep 10, 2012, at 3:26 AM, Gordon Smith wrote:

> Hi
>
> This subject was discussed on Techno-Chat recently but I'm moving it here
> because I think it more appropriate now that I am querying OS X specifically.
>
> When one is creating a symbolic link in a Terminal window, does one first
> navigate to the target directory, (where one wants the link file to be
> placed), and then use the command:
> ln -s /Directory/Filename
> assuming a specific file is to be linked?
<snip>