Hi Gordon and Others,

I drafted this earlier (when FileApp Pro was still free), but didn't have a
chance to send this off.

Yes, FileApp Pro is pretty accessible, but if you're asking for a
recommendation of which app I would personally use, I'd opt for Filer:
• Filer  ($3.99) by Dan Leehr L.L.C.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filer/id318884764?mt=8
There's a free Lite version of Filer you can try, but you're limited to storing
7 files in the app:
• Filer Lite (free) by Dan Leehr L.L.C.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filer-lite/id350939597?mt=8

Filer uses persistent storage, which means that if I'm playing an mp3 file of a
podcast or a movie's described audio track that is uploaded to Filer, it will
resume from where I last left off, even if I've switched apps between returning
to listen. If I'm reading a document in .rtf or pdf format, there's a slider at
the right side of the screen I can touch, and then swipe up or down (or double
tap and hold, then drag up or down to a position) to quickly navigate.  That's
a feature that isn't in FileApp, and is handy to have, although FileApp and
FileApp Pro will remember which page you're on in .RTF and Word document files.

There's an extensive help guide for Filer that loads under "Files" (the third
of five tabs at the bottom of the screen -- just above the home button).  This
explains the various options for using Filer.

I've also been told, by someone whose judgement I trust, that the Downloads -
Downloader & Download Manager app appears to have better memory management for
large files than Filer under iOS 5.  Also, his statement was that there are
certain download sites that Safari on iOS won't now download from, such as
Sendspace, and that Filer will show the same behavior as Safari.  (I don't do
enough downloading from such sources to be able to tell whether this is true;
in general, if there is an issue with downloading with Filer, I've been able to
use the Atomic Web Browser app.)

So for completeness, here are the links to the Downloads app in the regular and
lite versions. As in the case of Filer, the lite version of the app is free,
but limits you in the number of files that can be stored.  There are separate
versions of Downloads (and Downloads Lite) for the iPhone and iPad.
• Downloads - Downloader & Download Manger ($1.99) by Hian Zin Jong
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downloads-downloader-download/id343307433?mt=8
• Downloads Lite - Downloader & Download Manger (free) by Hian Zin Jong
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downloads-lite-downloader/id349275540?mt=8

And for the iPad:
• Downloads for iPad - Download Manager ($2.99) by Hian Zin Jong
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downloads-for-ipad-download/id380641055?mt=8
• Downloads Lite for iPad - Download Manager (free) by Hian Zin Jong
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downloads-lite-for-ipad-download/id383846063?mt=8

You can use these kinds of apps for many purposes, such as WiFi transfer
between your iOS device and your computer, transferring file content such as
eBooks to other apps on your device, handling compressed file formats, and
directly reading/playing files within the app or accessing your Dropbox files.
If you read word documents or .rtf files Filer and FileApp will remember the
page you're on.  This doesn't work for text files, though.

I'd summarize by saying that FileApp Pro was worth getting as a free app that
is mostly accessible, especially if you don't know whether you want or need
downloading features, or resuming position when reading word or .rtf documents.
 However, I think that if you do decide you want these functions, and want to
purchase an app for this, Filer (or possibly, Downloads) is a better choice,
because I find it overall a better app, with generally better accessibility and
features like the slider at the right side of the screen for positioning within
documents.  All of these apps have free versions (FileApp,  Filer Lite, and
Downloads Lite) that let you explore the interface.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther

On Sep 10, 2012, at 12:29 AM, Gordon Smith wrote:

> Hi Esther
>
> Do you know whether this is totally or partially accessible?  I presume that
> you do, otherwise you wouldn't probably have mentioned it at all. :)
>
> In any event, I just downloaded it so that Lynne can try it if it's of any
> appeal to her.  So thanks.
>
> Gordon
>
> On 10 Sep 2012, at 05:06, Esther <mori...@mac-access.net> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> This is a late catch, but FileApp Pro, which lets you download and manage
> documents and files on your iPhone or other iOS device, is free today.  It
> normally lists for $4.99.  I've mostly been using Filer, which supports more
> media file types through playback within the app, but FIleApp Pro is the app
> I first used for this purpose as an accessible way to read and play
> downloaded documents and media files.
>
> Here's the URL link to the App Store:
> • FileApp Pro (free today, normally $4.99) by DigiDNA
> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fileapp-pro/id359580470?mt=8
>
> And here's the link to the AppleVis description of FileApp:
> http://www.applevis.com/ios-app-directory/productivity/fileapp-documents-files-reader
<snip>