Hi Dónal,

This is not a permanent fix, but what happens if you change the assignment from
DHCP to a static IP address?  If you go to Settings > Wi-Fi and then flick
right to the "more info" button for you selected network and double tap, you
can read the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS, and Search Domains under the
DHCP tab.  You can switch the selected tab from "DHCP" to "Static" by double
tapping, and then you can enter values in all the same fields, including a
valid IP address.

I'm not sure what you mean about your iPad getting a self-assigned IP -- do you
meant that this is not a valid IP address even though the address seems legal?
(On my Airport Express the addresses are 10.etc.)  Can you manually switch to
the IP address of one of your other connected devices (which you take off of
that address) and have your iPad connection work?

The only Wi-Fi router related iOS connection problem I've had was time-outs
dropping the connection on my first device (iPod Touch in early 2010), an that
only happened when I was on a WPA encrypted network and near the edge of
coverage.  That was because the energy saving settings on the device would drop
the connection if there wasn't a fast enough response from the Wi-Fi network to
indicate this was currently in use.  So unless there was continuous network
use, the connection would periodically just drop.  If I streamed a low bit-rate
radio station in the background with ooTunes that was enough to keep the
network connection up (under the default DHCP setting for my encrypted home
network), and then later I found that if I switched the IP settings to static
and copied in the address from the DHCP assignment, that would also keep the
connection up without having to stream anything in the background.  What was
weird was that this only happened on this one network with WPA encryption and
when I was farther from the router; it wouldn't happen on any open Wi-FI
network, or ones that were WEP encrypted.  Eventually, there was an iOS update
that fixed this, and I didn't have to use the static IP address.  Changing the
DNS lookup address didn't help in this case, although that work for some people.

I assume you're only having this connection problem with your home Wi-Fi
network, and your iPad can connect elsewhere?

Cheers,

Esther