Hello Gordon,

I wrote out instructions for how to move your iTunes library content to an
external drive, with a link to the ilounge guide for how to do this.  Take a
read through my list post at the Mail Archives:
• Moving iTunes library to an external drive [was Re: Itunes question]
http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access@mac-access.net/msg07714.html

The actual "moving", as Sarah described, is done by the "Organize library…"
menu option under the File menu on the iTunes menu bar which you find under the
"Library" sub-menu.  This is what used to be called "Consolidate library".
It's a two-step process:  first, you bring up your iTunes preferences with
Command-comma, and navigate to the "Advanced" pane in the toolbar and select it
with VO-Space. There you change the iTunes Media folder location. to point to a
folder on your external hard drive.  Then you close preferences and navigate to
the "File" menu of the iTunes menu bar, arrow down, press "l" to move to
"LIbrary", and right arrow to the "Organize library…" option under the Library
sub-menu and press return.

This action will move files from your iTunes Media folder (and any other
locations outside of the iTunes Media folder where you may have added tracks to
your library) to your new, designated location on the external drive.  It will
also update your iTunes database files (the "iTunes Library.itl" and "iTunes
Music Library.xml" files) to use paths to the new location, but I think it will
not move these files out of the iTunes Media folder on your main hard drive.
(Of course, if you first manually move try to move the whole iTunes Media
Folder including these files without using the "Organize library…" option it
may recreate them.)

Please read through the linked post, and the ilounge guide on this subject.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther