I had to do the related messages bit first before it would let me uncheck the
conversations box. I have got it working now, There is an advantage to the
conversation way of sorting which is if there are a huge bunch of messages with
the same thread and it's a thread your not interested in you can just delete
that whole bunch of messages at once making it easier to clear your male box.
However the disadvantage is for example if you get an email say with a link in
it and it comes up as a conversation if you forget to press the write arrow key
to expand the conversation it's easy to miss the message you need. I am just
outlining the pros and cons to both ways just incase people did not think of it
this way. I personally like each message to come sepertly in to my inbox rather
than conversations which I have now set. Will see how I get on now with this
way of organising as i've got so use to the conversation way so it'll be odd
having my messages coming sepertly. It will give me
 a chance to see which way I really prefer it.

thanks for the help changing it as i've wanted to do it for ages.

Ian McNamara