Hi Dónal,

Can't you just ftp or sftp from one machine to the other if they're both on
either a wireless or wired network?  Do you have the USB ethernet connector for
the MacBook Air?  Of course, with 98 GB, that might take a while.  Also,
AirDrop is supposed to work as a way to share files between supported, Wi-Fi
enabled Macs, without having to connect through the wireless network for Lion
and above, and your MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer) and MacBook Pro (Late 2008
or newer) might qualify for that.  Again, that might take a while to move.

Do the files have to go over from your MacBook Pro?  Do you have access to the
cloned backup drive for your MBP on which you run CCC or SuperDuper?  I make
sure that my backup drives can use both USB and firewire connectors.  I don't
have any Thunderbolt compatible drives yet, but that's also supposed to be able
to support a variant of target disk mode.

Cheers,

Esther