Hi and welcome to the mac-access list,

I'm afraid that O'Reilly's half price Back to Schools Sale expired some hours
ago, but let me give you some more details about some eBook reading
alternatives (on computer related topics) and general information on O'Reilly
promotions.

First of all, I believe that once you sign up for an account at O'Reilly to
purchase ebooks, you can always use their buy 2, get a third book free coupon
code of "OPC10" (without the quote marks) at checkout for books that are not on
any other promotion.  They run an eBook "Deal of the Day" feed that you can
subscribe to or check.  I think the pricing discount code usually runs at least
until the next "Deal of the Day" is up, because the new deals are usually up
frequently, but not every day.  Visiting their eBook page at their web page:
http://oreilly.com/ebooks/
always brings up the current promotion, with an option to subscribe to the RSS
feed (that I give directly below).

The O'Reilly Ebook Deal of the Day RSS feed is:
feed://feeds.feedburner.com/oreilly/ebookdealoftheday

For example, today's promotion is 50% off all  eBooks dealing with the R
programming language. "Arrr! Celebrate International Talk Like
a Pirate Day with R  Save 50% - Ebook Deal of the Day"

O'Reilly eBooks are also available to international subscribers to Bookshare,
if you find it useful enough to pay the yearly subscription.  (The list of
internationally available Bookshare books is considerably less than for U.S.
subscribers, depending on the publishers' copyright decisions, but O'Reilly
books have always all been internationally available.  This is consistent with
their policy of directly supplying Bookshare with the digital content and also
with their promoting sales of DRM-free ebooks.

If you check the Mail Archive post for this list (one of the links at the
bottom of each post), and type in a search term into the text box like:
from:Esther O'Reilly
and then press "return", you'll find that I've announced some of these half
price promotions in the past.  These are generally when the "Missing Manuals"
eBooks for the iOS devices or for upgrades to new versions of OS X on the Mac
appear.  However, you can also check the links to this post:
• Re: Notes regarding the newly-updated Adobe Digital Editions 1.8 Preview 4
http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access@mac-access.net/msg10093.html

That post from June is about prospects for reading eBook textbooks on iOS
devices, as well as a follow-up to discussions of the desktop reader for
reading eBooks with Adobe's ADE DRM on Macs and Windows machines, but I'll
excerpt and quote the section dealing with free O'Reilly eBooks on related
topics:
<begin quote>
There are a number of free eBooks available from O'Reilly press on the future
of electronic publishing, and the prospects with new standards of ePub 3 and
HTML 5.  You can get them either from iBooks or from the O'Reilly site.  (The
difference being that at the O'Reilly site you'll have access to multiple
DRM-free formats, and they will always update the version you can download from
your account with the latest information.  Also, for an earlier publication,
such as the "Breaking the Page" preview, they also have DAISY format).  So
links are to the O'Reilly site, but you can also find them in iBooks.  Here are
some of the most highly rated and most topical of those free books:
• Publishing with iBooks Author
An Introduction to Creating Ebooks for the iPad
By Nellie McKesson, Adam Witwer
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025597.do
• Accessible EPUB 3
Best Practices for Creating Universally Usable Content
By Matt Garrish
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025283.do
• HTML5 for Publishers
By Sanders Kleinfeld
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022473.do
• Breaking the Page: Preview Edition
By Peter Meyers (3 chapter free sampler of full book)
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920020677.do

The Preview version of this last ebook has a further description at one of the
O'Reilly pages:
http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/12/breaking-the-page-preview.html
<end quote>

Finally, another really excellent set of computer eBooks is the Take Control
series.  The mac-access list has a number of special purchase deals for list
members to receive special discounts.  You can read about this at the link to
"Breaking News!" at the main mac-access web page:
<http://www.mac-access.net/NewsFlash!.html>
This includes the Take Control eBooks and the sArchiver software.  You'll need
to follow the instructions on that page for purchasing such items.  In general,
this involves off-list contacts with Gordon and Lynne using the specified
contact link or, in the case of U.S. list members purchasing the Take Control
books, using the link to contact Travis Siegel to handle the transaction.  Note
that you must be a mac-access list member for a minimum time before you can
purchase the Take Control books at the substantial discount.

I'm not sure whether you're interested primarily in the books dealing with iOS
devices or with the ones dealing with the Mac, but both are covered in the Take
Control series.  They are, however, more focused on Mac-related topics.

HTH.  Cheers,
Esther