Hi Lynne,

You might read back in the archives where Dónal had the same issue of
disappearing audiobooks, about a week before the iOS 6 release.  They came back
in a later iOS 6 pre-release version.  (I think he told me this off list).  At
the time, I suggested that he might be able to make them reappear by connecting
his iPhone to the computer, and then expanding the tree view for the iPhone
device in the sources table of iTunes to view the "Books" playlist.  My guess
was that if he played an audiobook on his iPhone from iTunes with the device
connected, it might force the iTunes library to update and show up the entries.
 There was a similar fix for disappearing music in the iOS 4.2 update.  You
could try that.

Cheers,

Esther