Hi Ian,

If you want to join tracks on your CD when importing, you'll find the option
under the "Advanced" menu on the iTunes menu bar.  I'll assume you have already
set up your importing settings under iTunes preferences, so that your format is
MP3 instead of the AAC format that comes up as a default. (For other list
members reading this post, changing the default format of imported CD tracks is
done from the "General" tab of iTunes preferences.  Bring up preferences with
Command-comma, then on the "General" tab that comes up by default, navigate to
the section for "When you insert a "CD" and press the "Import Settingsā€¦" button
to get a dialog window to select your options for encoding format and bit rate
or quality.)

Once you've inserted your CD you'll want to click on tracks listed in the songs
table for the CD and use Command-A to select all.  In principle you could join
subsets of contiguous tracks when importing with the "Join CD Tracks" option,
so in an audio book CD with short stories I could select and join tracks that
belonged to the same story by selecting and highlighting the first track of a
story by clicking with VO-Shift-Space, then pressing on the Shift key and
arrowing down to the last track of the story.  The "Join CD Tracks" option in
the "Advanced" menu of the menu bar stays dimmed if there are no tracks
selected for joining.  So after you have selected your CD tracks for joining,
use VO-M or Control-F2 to move to the iTunes menu bar and press "a" to navigate
to the "Advanced" menu.  Arrow down and press "j" to move to the "Join CD
tracks" option and press "return".  Then proceed to import your CD as usual.

HTH. I'm giving instructions from memory, since I'm using a MacBook Air with no
CD drive at present.  Jane can probably tell if  I've made a mistake in these
instructions, since she frequently imports audiobooks using the "Join CD
Tracks" option in iTunes.

Cheers,