Hi Sarah,
I tried drag and drop on my local mail boxes. I used the arrow keys to locate
the new out of sequence mail box which contained some entries and then used the
arrow keys to locate the mail box after which the out of sequence mail box
should be positioned. I then asked my iMac to drag the out of sequence mail box
to the new position. There was then several seconds delay and eventually VO
said that it had failed to position the out of sequence mail box.

When you tried drag and drop were the mail boxes you tried to drag empty? Did
you try this on the latest Mountain Lion release (10.8.2)?

Many thanks.

Paul Hopewell