Hi Paul,

Rats! I composed a reply, got called a way, and then posted before I read your
note.  Well, hopefully that Apple Knowledge Base document will help someone
else.

As for how you created a space in the first place, the non-VoiceOver directions
say you can create a new space when you "hover" your mouse over the top right
corner of the screen in Mission Control and press "tab".  Maybe you
accidentally navigated to the "Add Desktop" button in Spaces and used part of a
keystroke to create a Space?

Glad you got that sorted.

Cheers,

Esther