Hi Danny,

I think you need to retrieve your mail preferences from your Time Machine
backup to get them organized.  There's a chapter in the Take Control of Apple
Mail in Mountain Lion (or Lion, or Snow Leopard) guide on "Back Up and Restore
Your Email".  It describes multiple ways to do this. There's also a description
of what files get used for different purposes.  (The initial tilde character
indicates these are folders under your user account):
~/Library/Mail: This folder contains all your mailboxes, rules, junk mail
settings and most of the other data Mail uses.
~/Library/Keychains: This folder contains all your keychains, which store your
user names and passwords.
~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook: This folder contains your Address
Book contacts and your Previous Recipients list.
~/Library/Preferences: This folder contains your preference files, among which
is the one Mail uses.

I think the preference file you need from your account's Library/Preferences
folder is "com.apple.mail.plist" (without the quotes).  Usually either this
file and maybe a "com.apple.mail.plist.locked" folder is present. (If your mail
is "locked" you won't be able to open it, so try deleting that folder).  When
you created a new Mail with your fresh install, a default com.apple.mail.plist
file was created with none of your old information, so you want to replace this.

I would first try making sure that the Library/Preferences folder for your
account is back in place.  You'll need to use the Command-Shift-G "Go to
Folder" shortcut in Finder to navigate to your libraries, since by default your
top level Libraries are hidden, then type or paste in the location you want to
move to.  You can either first use Command-Shift-H to move to your home
directory, and then type in "Library" slash "Preferences" with no leading
characters, or you can type in tilde, slash, "Library", slash "Preferences"
into the "Go to folder" text box dialog window to move to this library under
your user account from any location. (I'm typing out the characters "tilde" and
"slash" so you don't have to read character by character; the same principles
apply to all the other folders mentioned above -- "tilde" "slash" with no
spaces between is synonymous to your user account's home directory, as though
I'd typed "/Users/danny/", if that's your user account name.)

I think, according to the Take Control guide, that if all the above files are
in place on your fresh installed Mac, that your mail should work as before.  I
also think that you can copy them from a recent backup or clone.  (I always
keep a bootable clone around for these purposes -- doesn't have to be the
latest version, but just good enough to keep a working version of your setup,
and I copy the files for keychain, addressbook, and preferences over from
there.)

There's also a way that they describe to recover from a Time Machine backup,
but it's more involved.  You have to navigate to each one of the items your
want to restore in Mail -- say, your Inbox, for example.  Then you have to
start Time Machine, navigate to one of your backups, and find the items you
want to restore.  Mail then creates a new local mailbox in the sidebar and
creates a folder of "Recovered Messages" within the new mailbox.  You then have
to go through and reorganize things so that each of the "Recovered" folders are
in the correct place in your real mailbox.  This would place duplicates of your
mailbox content on your machine, so it's really better if you can just recover
your previous configuration rather than relying on the backup.

I would first try to restore just the additional files I mentioned, starting
with the mail preferences file, and deleting any locked mail plist file that
may be present now in the library.

You might consider getting the Take Control of Apple Mail in Mountain Lion
guide if you want more detailed information.  It's really good for practical
things like this kind of recovery.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther