Hi Paul,

To add to what Josh said, the dictation feature was added for the iPhone 4S,
and appears on devices that were released since then, such as the third
generation iPad and the recent releases of the iPhone 5, fifth generation iPod
Touch, and new iPads (mini and fourth generation). It shows up in the form of a
"Dictate" button just to the left of the space bar for languages that are
supported. (For example, if I switch to a Russian input language keyboard
there's no "Dictate" key present, and the space bar extends over that location,
while it's there for French.) You use the key on the virtual keyboard to start
and stop dictation instead of using a keyboard shortcut, but the kinds of
dictation commands you use are similar.  You have to speak punctuation, such as
"open quote" or "quote", followed by the phrase, and then "close quote",
similarly for parentheses, capitalizing letters, periods, and commas. And, of
course, there are several possible variant phrases, such as "full stop
 " instead of "period".

HTH. Cheers,

Esther