Hi All,
The Textilus app lets you create and edit RTF files that are synced through
Dropbox on your iPad. It is normally $4.99, but is free for a 24-hour period.
(I think that means about another 10 hours.) Here's the URL at the iTunes Store:
• Textilus - Word Processor (RTF Writer) by knowtilus (normally $4.99
- iPad only)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textilus-word-processor-rtf/id537818639?mt=8

This is not perfect, but it's the most promising RTF editing app I've
found for use with VoiceOver on iOS, and I haven't found anything similar that
works well with the iPhone or iPod Touch.  You'll find there is a "boink" sound
as you enter text - this seems common to a few other such apps for RTF
I've tried, including some that immediately crash if VoiceOver is on.
Scott Howell has been in touch with the developer, who is interested
in improving the experience for VO users.
Please refer to my archived post about this app from the viphone list for
details:
• Re: RTF Dropbox editor .
http://www.mail-archive.com/viphone%40googlegroups.com/msg20310.html

Sorry for the late notice but my first attempt to post went astray. I'd be
interested to hear other people's experiences.  This should work on the new
iPad minis.  I haven't tried this on the first generation iPad, but it might be
sluggish there.

HTH. Cheers,