In essence, there is a bug where a restored phone for some unknown reason
doesn't have triple click home set for VO. There are unfortunately other things
that can make it seem like this.

1, VO or phone volume being right down.
If you have any sight, doing a 3 finger triple tap will turn on and off screen
kerten so you can tell if VO is actually coming on or not.
If the VO voice is right down even though you've raised the device volume up
already, if you touch the screen up near the top, then simply do a 2 finger
flick down to start read all as if read all/auto read is going, the device
volume buttons then effect voice over rather than the general volume.
2, VO voice being muted.
3 finger double tap.
3, Vo bug where voice stops.
Press the power/sleep/screen lock button quickly 6 times for a reboot. This
will only take 10 or 20 seconds to reboot this way and usually resolves crashed
VO but not always, esp if triple click hasn't been activated properly by the
previously mentioned bug.
4, If nothing else works, plug it into a computer with iTunes and turn on
voiceover from within iTunes itself. This obviously isn't always possible but
one way to survive until you can get to a computer is  to remember that at
least 4's have voice dial so you can in a pinch call for help and the 4s and 5
have Siri with which you can do a lot more than just voice dial to help you out
of a bad situation.
5, Make sure you have settings, general, accessibility, triple click memorised
so you can depend on the kindness of strangers. <smile> Ok, ask a friend.

I just wish that you could turn on accessibility features via Siri as that
would in my opinion be the best accessibility safety net since VO defaulting on
triple click in the first place.

HTH.

PS,
I just found out that if you hold down the home key until the Siri beep
happens, if you keep holding home, the volume buttons then effect Siri's volume
instead of the general phone volume.