Hi William,
I have exactly this set up. I use Google Mail which is set to imap with only
inbox stored on the server. I read mail on both my iPhone and my iMac. Using my
iPhone I delete mail items which require no further action and these are also
deleted from my iMac. If a mail item needs a complicated reply I leave it in
the inbox on my iPhone so that it appears in the inbox on my iMac from where I
can answer it. If I delete mail from my iMac it does not appear on my iPhone.
Best wishes.....

Paul Hopewell