Hi Donal,

Not sure if this is the best or only way, but here's how I do it.
1. Launch Safari.
2. Enter the desired default URL in the address bar and go to that page. I use
the standard about:blank.
3. Open the Safari Utilities menu and choose Add to Home Screen. You will be
prompted to supply a name for this shortcut and once you're done, you'll have a
new icon on one of your home screens that will always open to the same page you
specified.

HTH,
Bryan