Hello, Cathy. I, too, have a Mac Mini, late 2012 version. I used it without a
monitor for as long as I've had it, a week or so. I just got it for Christmas.
Today, though, I hooked it up to this huge, monstrous TV with an HDMI thing. I
don't really know if I was successful, I mean there is a new sound choice in
the stem prefs, but the TV doesn't seem to work, so I really don't know if the
mac thinks its connected to a monitor or not. I think that I may be able to
help you if you want, with using applications and such if you need it. The one
thing to realize is that Apple wants to pretty much have us use a mac the same
way a sighted person does. Now I don't mean that we should use a mouse, I mean,
like on Windows, I never, ever used a toolbar. Ever. I didn't have a need to,
because there was always some little hotkey I used to do something. And I never
had to interact with anything. But on the mac, toolbars are actually useful,
and I do love the idea of interacting with items,
  since you can skip over information you don't need. Tip, you know how in
Windows, when surfing the net, when you'd always hear Google adds? Well in VO
on the mac, you can skip those! They're in frames, and frames are things that
you don't have to see if you don't want to, but you can always interact with
it. One thing I thought, at first, is that you'd need to interact with every
single thing to work with it. Well, thank goodness, you don't. Its just things
like toolbars and list boxes and frames, anything that has other things inside
of it, that you need to interact with. So, if you have a button, there isn't
anything inside of a button except its text, so if you interact with a button,
you're actually looking more closely at its text. I hope this helps.