Ok. In the mac app store version of stuffit expander you cannot compress, just
extract.  I looked it up in the reviews and not too many people are happy about
this as it does not even say this in the description. I don't mind paying the
$29 for it, how ever I wish it would have stated this in the mac app store
description so people don't feel like they've been deceived.

I have not tried extracting as the unarchiver does this nicely. someone in an
article  said the unarchiver can also compress, how ever I think they either
mis typed, or got some mis info from somewhere.

Take care.