Hello Fred,

If your Tab key action has changed, you may have pressed Control-F7. This
switches your Tab key action between moving keyboard focus between "Text boxes
and lists only" and "All controls".  Check whether pressing Control-F7 restores
your Tab key to the focus behavior that you expect. This can be tricky to
troubleshoot, because if you have been in the mode where you used the Tab key
to move focus between "all controls", the controls that you moved focus to
might depend on what toolbars, etc. you had showing (e.g., under your "View"
menu options).  So in the specific case of your question about using the Tab
key in Mail, you might want to check that when you're in your Message Viewer
window that your focus is on one of the mailboxes or in the messages table
before you try to toggle the Tab key behavior with Control-F7.  More generally,
speaking of the Tab key behavior in other applications, this behavior can also
depend on what "View" mode you are using, since you might not hav
 e "lists" to move focus to.

In applications like iTunes, it can be quite convenient to use your tab key to
cycle between the search text box, the table of your libraries, playlists, etc.
and the table of the tracks in your selected library, playlist, etc.  (I'm
assuming that iTunes is set up in the "Classic" view that was used before
iTunes 11, and that can be restored by showing the sidebar either with the
Command-Option-s keyboard shortcut to toggle the sidebar between show and hide,
or by using the "View" menu option to "Show Sidebar"; that you have selected
the "Songs" radio button and are using list view, and that optionally you have
used the Command-/ keyboard shortcut to toggle the status bar between show and
hide, or by using the "View" menu option to "Show Status Bar".)

What's confusing about using Control-F7 is that it appears to tab you to the
next control, but it can change your tab key action of moving focus depending
on whether you have pressed this an odd or even number of times.  I think David
Woodworth mentioned this in one of his early Mac training podcasts at the
Vision Australia site, but I don't remember which one.

I don't know the answer to your second question about VoiceOver reading message
content vs. header.  Do you mean the subject line when you say "header"?  And
how are you opening your messages?

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther