you can't rename the compiled file with a .app extension, because an app file is more than just the executable file. If you highlight any .app file in your hd, then ctrl click on it, or bring up the context menu, (or in terminal,, just cd to the app file itself) you can see all the other files in the app folder along with the program itself. Unless you can reconstruct this file structure, and provide valid files to replace the ones that exist in other app files, you won't have an app file, no matter what you call it. Xcode takes care of this for you, though it is possible to do the job manually, it's not something you'd really want to do if you can avoid it. It's not a fun task, and to be honest, I don't think anybody really knows how to do it, there's only a bunch of folks out there (well, ok, not a bunch, maybe just a few) who have done trial and error, and gotten it to work, but I doubt even they have a 100 percent clear understanding of what all is required, all the options that can be used, and so on. I have managed to get this to work, but like AI said, it's not fun, it's extremely error prone, and it's not something even I recomend, and that's saying a lot. If I could find sufficient documentation, I'd certainly build an app creator, because Xcode is *not* my friend, and having the ability to create app files on the fly would serve many purposes. However, until that time, you're stuck using Xcode as big a pain as it is. There are some environments that can be used that aren't Xcode, but they are not very accessible, and I've not been able to get any of them to work reliably repeatedly, which goes back to my whole I don't think anyone completely understands the app file structure/options (note I said structure and options), so in short, you're out of luck on this one.
sorry, and I wish I had better news.
If you find something that works all the time, I'd sure like to hear about it. I've only found a couple things that work under certain conditions, none of which I seem to have on my development machine.