Harmony is right though. If you have the link highlighted, vo-shift- m will give you a list of options. If it's a regular link, open in new window will be one of those options. If on the other hand, it's a javascript link (honestly, I don't understand why so many page creators waste time using javascript when a perfectly good a href will do quite nicely) then the open in new window option will not appear, and the reason for that is because, the javascript action is highly dependent on what javascript is running, what variables are set, and what they are set to. It's nearly impossible for safari to know in advance what the javascript link will do when clicked, as a result, opening the link in a new window isn't possible, because there's no way for safari to know what is supposed to happen when the link is clicked. It may open a new page, it may highlight something on screen, or it may close the page all together. Safari doesn't know, vo doesn't know, and as a result, opening in a new window makes no sense in that context, so the option is removed from available options. It's anoying, but unfortunately, that's what we're stuck with. I don't use the bard system yet, I need to get signed up from scratch due to extreme stupidity on the behalf of my uncooperating library, so I can't even begin to assist with the bard site, though I sure did enjoy the web braille while I had it. <sigh>
Ah well, hope this helps anyway.