Hello everyone,

I haven't seen any mention of this app on this list and I should hate for
anyone to missout on it.

Talking Goggles is an app that uses the IOS device's camera to identify common
objects, pictures and all kinds of text. It offers a vast number of languages
although it is not itself localised into any language other than English. Its
buttons, however, are very simple so localisation is not essential.

Using this app in video mode, I can identify books by just holding the front
cover of the book about a foot away from the iPhone. It takes a matter of
seconds for a book to be recognised and, if the book is in another language and
the app is set to English, it will translate the title.

I've also used Talking Goggles to distinguish between two packaged products
which are identical to the touch. One was artichoke hearts and the other
peppers stuffed with cheese. I set the app to French although quite a lot of
the information on these packages is in German. I got sufficient information
within seconds to be able to distinguish between the two.

This app has five buttons at the bottom of the screen. Starting from the left:
1) Flash - marked Off when off and On when on.
2) Flag - Marked En for English. Double tap it to change the language.
3) Gallery - This is the camera roll.
4) Record or Stop or Camera copy14 - When Video is running, it is labelled
Stop; when Video is selected but not running, it's labelled Record, and when
Still camera is selected, it's labelled Camera copy14.
5) Video Camera or Still Camera - This button is confusing as it is labelled
Video Camera when the Still Camera is selected, and Vice Versa.

This app is self-voicing to take care of the various languages, but in Video
mode, by flicking around the screen, VoiceOver will repeat what has been said.

This app is not free, but it only costs a matter of pennies, euro cents or
whatever.

Cheers,

Anne